Blog Sections

Friday, May 16, 2014

Book Review || Princess of the Midnight Ball, by Jessica Day George

Review of
Princess of the Midnight Ball
by
Jessica Day George

Date Published: January 20th, 2009
My Rating: 5/5
My Review: 

This book was awesome. Sure, a little bit cliche in spots, but I was drawn in from the very beginning.

The story is of the twelve dancing princesses. Rose and her eleven sisters are imprisoned by the King Under Stone, who forces them to dance with his twelve sons every night, and plans to marry them in order to keep them with him in his palace forever. The sisters are cursed and cannot speak of what is happening to them. A young soldier named Galen comes to work in their palace, and wishes to help solve the mystery of the princesses' worn shoes, and save them from whatever is so dangerous they are unable to utter a word.

Though not defined as Christian or Catholic this book does make references to God, and there is mention of priests and cardinals and bishops, so I am categorizing it as Christian.

Jessica Day George writes in a manner that reminds me of myself - mystical and explanatory, describing things in lovely detail and making you fall in love with the setting. Her characters were wonderful and colorful and full of life. I especially loved Galen, who was gallant and chivalrous and who was all too easy to love to pieces right away.

This book reminded me of Entwined "Entwined" by Heather Dixon, which wasalso a retelling of the 12 Dancing Princesses. It's difficult for me to choose which of these two is better than the other; they're both so, so good, and I absolutely loved them both. Fairy tale retellings are the best stories to read in my opinion so you really can't go wrong with them. 

If you like princess-type books, or royalty, this is the perfect book for you. I definitely recommend this book to anyone and everyone who likes to read, period. Well done Jessica!

No comments:

Post a Comment